Recognizing the Signs of San Diego CO Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas that is produced by many gas-operated products found in homes throughout San Diego. It is also incredibly deadly when a person has been exposed to enough of it. While most products that create carbon monoxide gas are meant for outside use only, there are many defective household items, such as heaters and stoves, that may cause a major CO leak that endangers the lives and health of anyone exposed.

If exposed, carbon monoxide prevents a person’s red blood cells from taking in oxygen, thus keeping a person’s vital organs from receiving the oxygen they require to function. When exposed to enough, a person may die from poisoning. In order to protect oneself and family, install several CO detectors throughout the home and be on the lookout for symptoms of exposure. If suspicious, get everyone out of the home and outside and call 9-1-1 for help and aid to those who have been exposed.

Be on the lookout for these symptoms of CO poisoning:

  • Dizziness;
  • Drowsiness;
  • Headache;
  • Shortness of Breath;
  • Vomiting;
  • Chest/abdomen pain;
  • Nausea;
  • Weakness;
  • Hallucinations;
  • Seizure; and
  • Loss of consciousness.

Any of these symptoms may be a sign that a carbon monoxide leak is present. To prevent serious illness and permanent damage, get everyone out of the air immediately.

Often, CO poisoning accidents occur through no fault of the victim, but rather through defective products or the negligence of another party. If you or a loved one has suffered from CO poisoning, the San Diego carbon monoxide poisoning attorneys can help you find proper compensation from those responsible. To find out more, contact us today.

Follow us!